Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Aileen 5 Beta Readers

I'll be finishing up this draft of Aileen 5 barring any unexpected surprises. That means it's time to ask for volunteers to beta read.

I'm expecting a week turnaround from the time the betas get the manuscript. If you don't have time, please do not volunteer and take the slot from someone who does. I only accept a very few readers for this process.

If you've done this for me in the past, skip to the end of the post and click on the link.

For those who are new, here is a brief summary.

The first thing to know is that many people will try but I only ever take around 10 beta readers. If you sign up and aren't picked, please don't get discouraged. Try again next time.

Priority is given to those who've beta read for me in the past and done a good job, but I always take a few new people too.

Essentially, beta reading is a good way for me to take the temperature of a book. The reader lets me know if the book works for them. They give honest feedback regarding characters and plot. They DO NOT focus on grammar or sentence structure, so if you're worried about your editing skills, don't be. That's for a different part of my process.

I rely on my beta readers to catch the things I don't. For that reason, I require my readers to have read ALL the books in the series (and liked them). I've rewritten prologues and endings based on their feedback so they have a huge impact on the end product.

Beta reading is not for everyone. I don't beta read for people because it can be work. I like getting caught up in a story and not paying attention to the things that irk me. Be assured, there will be advanced copies coming so if you want to read the book without the work, so please sign up for that instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment