Friday, March 22, 2019

Dragon 4 Beta Call

Note: I think I've reached my quota for now. Please try again on the next book or throw your name in when I announce the advance reader copies.

Dragon 4 has hit the stage where it would benefit from some other eyes besides my own. This means I am putting out the call for beta readers.

If you're interested keep reading

For those unused to the term "beta reader", this is the stage of the process where the author (me) reaches out to readers (you) to get their impression of the book. It's a way to check the story's temperature and make sure it hits all the notes I want it to with readers. Warning -- this is not a finished product. Things are still very much in flux.

At this point, it's still fairly unpolished with odd grammatical and factual errors. I'm not looking for a hardcore grammar edit. Instead, betas help with pointing out inconsistencies in the story line or characters.

For example: Aileen has a gun at the beginning of the scene, then big bad attacks and there is no gun by the end of the scene. What happened to the gun?

Or - I don't understand how we got from point a in the story to point b. Something just doesn't feel right.

In Dawn's Envoy I actually rewrote the prologue based on reader feedback, so your comments could affect the end product.

If the above hasn't scared you off and you're still interested, keep reading. Below is an explanation of my expectations. It's a first come, first serve type of opportunity and priority will be given to those who've beta read for me in the past.

Please, please, please, don't volunteer unless you have the time and attention to do this. You'll take the slot from someone who does. I will be doing advanced reader copies again this time which is a lot less of a commitment.

Beta Reader Guidelines and Caveat

Here's how you can volunteer: Private message me through my Facebook page or email me at info@tawhiteauthor.com asking to be a beta reader and committing to the guidelines posted below. Also please let me know if you'd like a kindle version or other ereader version. I can't guarantee I'll choose you as there has been a lot of interest in this in the past, and I can only wade through so many comments at a time without getting overwhelmed and falling into a dark pit of despair.

Beta Guidelines:

This part of the process for me takes place before I send the manuscript to the editor. That means the copy is a little rough still. I'm not looking for intense grammar editing. I'm more focused on comments on the story- pace, structure, characters, things that don't make sense. That kind of stuff. I will outline these questions in more detail for those who participate.

The other thing I ask is for people to send it back to me in the time allotted. I'm asking for it back by March 29.

I also ask that you agree not to share the story with anyone or upload it to any sites. I know for most of you that would never cross your mind, but I need to say it anyway.

Also, be aware that I may not use your suggestions as my opinion trumps everyone else's. Sometimes you ask questions that I want asked or a suggestion goes against what I'm trying to accomplish.

One final note: Beta reading is not for everyone. For instance, I don't beta read for people because I like getting caught up in the story and not paying attention to the things that irk me. For that reason, I will be doing advance reader copies that will take place at the end of the process and will require less critical thinking on the reader's part--hopefully.

If you're interested, let me know. If you're not, I hope you enjoy the book when it comes out.

5 comments:

  1. I actually really appreciate your attention to detail. So many miss small errors that make me crazy, whether spelling, grammer, or continuity. I think you are one of the best self published at this, and even professional publisher always have a couple mistakes. And we loved the new book, we love them all, but this might have been the best. So Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you. I put a lot of time and effort to polishing the books as much as I can, though I realize a few things always slip through the cracks. It means a lot for someone to say that.

      Delete
  2. How do we let you know we are interested in beta reading. I am new to your books but Kira, Jin, Graydon and the crew have me hooked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. This. I have no idea what a beta reader is, but I'm in if it means I can read more of this crew without waiting for a release date. Now I'm off to read everything else to bide my time.

      Delete
  3. Ahh! I keep missing these beta calls. Maybe next time :) I've been reading your books since Pathfinder's Way first came out. Can't wait until the next book for each series. Love your characters, stories, and humor. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete