Thursday, September 14, 2017

Reading and Recharging

Now that Pathfinder 2 is with my beta readers, I took the opportunity to recharge my batteries. This usually means copious amounts of reading, binging TV shows, and baking- lots and lots of baking. Discovering new books is one of my favorite past times so I thought I'd share a few of my treasures from the past week.

Namesake by Kate Stradling

 “Who needs magic in an age of electricity? I can flip the switch on the wall with the best of them.”

Anjeni Sigourna bears the name of a legendary goddess, but her resemblance to that honored figure ends there. Eighteen and jaded, she has cultivated sarcasm instead of the elusive magic everyone expects her to possess. Such power lacks purpose in her modern world.

But when an adverse encounter with the Eternity Gate lands her in an alien realm, magic marks the boundary between life and certain death. Anjeni alone holds the keys to saving an ancient people from a savage enemy. Her bitterness notwithstanding, she must now create a legend instead of living in its shadow.

Learn More

Sometimes a book comes out of nowhere and just hits you upside the head with its awesome. This book was one of those for me. It made me ask myself how I didn't know about this author sooner. The genre is new adult/young adult, but I enjoyed it. It has time travel- which I haven't read since before High School- but it was a gripping story full of memorable characters and an amazing world. I couldn't help but empathize with Anjeni and root for her as she found her footing in the new world she was tossed into. She's a strong character who never lost sight of her core self.

When it was done I immediately looked the author up to see if she had any other books. Good news-she does!!! Though I may have to put reading the rest on hold until I get Pathfinder 2 published... or at least come up with a title for it.

Hate to Love You
by Tijan

Rule #1: No hot guys.
It might sound ridiculous. I get it. It kind of was, but college was supposed to be my sanctuary. It was my place to start over. The rumors, the whispers, and the jealousy I endured through high school would all be gone.
No one would know me at college.

Rule #2: No drama.
I’d major in pre-law. I’d make a few loyal friends. Everything would be easy-breezy. No one was going to use me or hurt me. I wouldn’t let them.

Rule #3: New year. New place. New me.

Right?
Wrong.
And all because of Shay Coleman.

Football captain and quarterback, he was the big guy on campus. The cocky guy in my political science class with a smirk.

I hated him on sight . . .
. . . and he was about to break all my rules.

Learn more

I've read Tijan before and I always walk away in a book coma, wondering when her next book will come out and desperately wishing the book was longer. While this isn't my favorite book of hers, it was definitely worth the read. It sucked me in and didn't let me go until I was done. Both main characters had depth and made me care about them. Kennedy had a reason for that chip on her shoulder and it was a delight watching Shay break through her defenses. Their interactions were fun to read and had me laughing out loud several times. I would recommend this to any who enjoy romance and new adult.


No comments:

Post a Comment