Monday, April 5, 2021

Dragon 5 update

I'm halfway through page two of three pages of notes I made for editing. At this point, I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact the vast majority of this book will be entirely rewritten by the time I'm done.

Already, the minor addition that was supposed to be the beginning has ballooned into eight mostly new chapters. Even those scenes I kept were pretty much rewritten from scratch. I've thrown out multiple entire chapters, salvaging only bits and pieces.

Also--fun fact-- I never really wrote the ending because I knew I'd gone very far off course in the first draft. Good thing too, because I'd probably have to toss that too.

I keep telling myself--today we'll reach the old stuff. Then another day drags on where I write entirely new stuff.

Writing isn't always a linear process. I know that. Just because you put words on paper, doesn't mean those words will stay. Most of the time I embrace that method. The pressure of being perfect tends to immobilize me until I get nothing done. I prefer operating under the "let's just try it and see if it works" method. It can lead to a lot of dead end rabbit holes, but you also find some diamonds in the process. Usually, it's not this extreme.

I don't know if the pressure of this being the last book of Tate's story got to me or if it's the fact I haven't really had a vacation in a year and a half. Or maybe the disruption from Covid. Whatever the case, I'm back on track now.

As dour as this post seems, there is a silver lining. The rewrite has made me fall in love with these characters all over again. There've been moments where I've giggled to myself over their antics . Moments like these remind me of why I love writing. It makes all the rest of it worthwhile.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the update! We are willing to wait for whatever you have for us, because we know it will be amazing. Take your time, we know it is worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with the previous comment, we will wait, plus we benefit from your creative process! For me, the best part of this update is hearing that you have found your love for Tate and Ryu again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fingers crossed for the rewrite! Cant wait to read the final result ❤️😍

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will there ever be a Ryu point of view? I'd love to know his thoughts during various events.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly in this never ending pandemic I'm just happy to know that you're still writing and healthy. Take the time you and the characters need. Knowing there's a book coming is good enough for me!

    ReplyDelete