Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Beta Readers Assemble!

Edit: I have enough beta readers for the moment. Thank you to everyone who volunteered.

I've labored long and hard to prepare the best book I can write. Now, the time has come to let others see my creation for themselves. For those who want to offer their services as a beta reader for Broken Lands 3, keep reading the post below.

Remember, this is still early stages so there will be odd grammatical and factual errors riddling the manuscript. Below is an explanation of what a beta reader does and what I expect out of them. It's a first come, first serve type of opportunity and priority will be given to those who've beta read for me in the past. 

Beta Reader Guidelines and Caveat

Here's how you can volunteer: Private message me through my Facebook page or email me at info@tawhiteauthor.com asking to be a beta reader and committing to the guidelines posted below. I can't guarantee I'll choose you as there has been a lot of interest in this in the past, and I can only wade through so many comments at a time.

Beta Guidelines:

This part of the process for me takes place before I send the manuscript to the editor. That means the copy is a little rough still. I'm not looking for intense grammar editing. I'm more focused on comments on the story- pace, structure, characters, things that don't make sense. That kind of stuff. I will outline these questions in more detail for those who participate.

The other thing I ask is for people to send it back to me in the time allotted. I'm asking for it back by June 15th this time. My wedding is at the end of the month and I need this to be in my editors hands so I don't have it hanging over me :-)

I also ask that you agree not to share the story with anyone or upload it to any sites. I know for most of you that would never cross your mind, but I need to say it anyway.

Also, be aware that I may not use your suggestions as my opinion trumps everyone else's. Sometimes you ask questions that I want asked or a suggestion goes against what I'm trying to accomplish.

One note: Beta reading is not for everyone. For instance, I don't beta read for people because I like getting caught up in the story and not paying attention to the things that irk me. For that reason, I will be doing advance reader copies that will take place at the end of the process and will require less critical thinking on the reader's part--hopefully.

If you're interested, let me know. If you're not, I hope you enjoy the book when it comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment