Saturday, November 7, 2015

When your brain doesn't want to work

Writing can be hard. It often feels like an uphill climb on a never ending mountain. Today, I'm reminded of just how hard it can be. I've stared blankly at my computer screen for the past half hour, willing my brain to churn out something, anything and haven't written a single word yet. At times like these, I'm stuck asking questions like 'Do I give up and hope it comes tomorrow or do I push on and force the issue?' My writing goal was high today as it's a Saturday. I even cleaned part of my house yesterday and dodged plans with a friend so I could concentrate on writing. I don't want to walk away from my desk with nothing to show for it.

I've learned over the past few book that a large part of writing is discipline. It's pushing through the initial brain soup and persevering on yourself. If I waited for inspiration, I'd still be working on my first book. There are times, though, that it doesn't matter how I push and pull on my imagination, nothing comes. I really hope today isn't one of those times.

Sometimes I can jump start my brain by distracting it with social media, goodreads or checking out other author blogs. Sometimes the process of brewing loose leaf tea with its precise measurements and methodical preparation relaxes my brain enough that the words inside can escape. Also, I just like using my really pretty cast iron tea pot. Other times, I switch my writing hats and work on something writing related (like this blog) before going back to the book.

Hopefully, complaining on here will have gotten the gears turning so I can achieve some progress today. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment