Monday, November 22, 2021

Post Book Blahs

Eva 2 went out to beta readers on Saturday. If you volunteered, check your email and spam folders because it may be there. A beta reader in the past didn't discover they'd been chosen until two days before it was due because of the book going to the spam folder.

I should have announced that on Saturday but my brain died. My husband said I looked like a zombie trying to clean on Sunday. One who kept losing motivation and getting distracted.

Today, I've been taking care of little admin tasks that have fallen to the wayside over the past few months. Things like figuring out what system I want to use to backup and save files. It was a big enough issue that I had a nightmare Friday night about the cats knocking a glass of water into the computer and killing it the day before I was totally done. Months of work down the drain. 

The crazy thing is we do have a backup. It runs at the same time everyday but I've tried to find documents in that thing and it isn't easy--which means I don't trust it. Also a lot can happen in 24 hours. Just ask my husband about the time I accidentally deleted a chapter and almost had a panic attack before we found it again.

Dropbox was what I was using before I blew past my limit and everything stopped syncing. Instead of switching to the paying model, my husband convinced me to give Google Drive a try. We'll see how that goes.

Most of this morning was spent with him trying to figure out then teach me how to use it. Evidently, what I was saying I wanted wasn't actually what I wanted. The time passed with him asking me why I was getting so mad and me moaning I just want to hit the save button and it be saved in two places. Which I guess meant I wanted the files mirrored vs backed up. 

It was all very technical and I wasn't understanding the differences in methods beyond one was way more complicated than the other. I can't do complicated. I will forget. At some point I will leave out a step and then have multiple files of the same name in different places and then be unable to tell which is the most up to date with all the typos corrected. 
 
We did get it sorted and I think it will work the way I need it to work, but we'll see. 

Now, I'm off to the rest of my tasks -- answering fan emails, reaching out to a cover designer, maybe writing the synopsis I don't want to write. Oh, and finishing the rest of the website I started way back in March. 

No comments:

Post a Comment