Thursday, March 4, 2021

Checking in

I wrote a blog post, but ended up deleting it because I thought it sounded a little too whiney. Unfortunately, that still left me with a blog post to write. Welcome to the world of a writer--write a scene, dislike it, delete it, rinse and repeat until you stumble on something that halfway makes sense. 

Lately, all I've had the energy for is to make word count--sometimes not even that. It turns out writing the end of  a series is taxing business. There's all these open loops you have to be aware of and close. Finding a character arc that brings the reader satisfaction without driving them crazy is a balancing act. There's also the fact I want Tate to go out on a strong note. She and Ilith have been with me for so long. They deserve a good ending.

The good news is that I expect to be done with this draft by the end of next week. Honestly, even if I haven't reached the end end, I'm going to call it the end so I can go back and rewrite and fix everything that is bothering me. 

This story went off the rails relatively early in the process--pretty much from chapter one. For once, I stuck with my promise and did no rewriting, no editing or anything like that. It's a good thing too. My original plan was to toss chapters one and two and start the book at chapter three. 

It would have been such a waste of time and energy had I really done that. 

Two a.m. brainstorms are the best--well, maybe not for sleep. But for figuring out the problems areas and reassembling the storyline into something that actually makes sense, nothing can beat them. I finally know how and why things happen. The pacing of the new outline is so much better than the current version. I have room and space to develop the characters who had fallen by the wayside. The best part is my original beginning can stay! Actually, a lot of what I thought I'd have to toss will be able to stay. Just in a new way.

Yes, I'll have to rewrite a significant portion of this book. Yes, I'll have to add soooo many scenes to round out what I have. 

But! The vision in my mind is going to be so much better than what I currently have. All those fun parts that make working in Tate's universe so interesting will get their chance to shine. 

This is a roundabout way of saying--Dragon 5 is progressing along--maybe not nicely or easily but it's heading in the general direction I want.

10 comments:

  1. So this is the final volume?

    ReplyDelete
  2. with all the insanity still going around right now, i just want you to know i really enjoy your books, and appreciate the time and effort put in to make them great!! thanks so much for a quick escape from the crazy outside

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew! Well, we are talking about a dragon. No way she's going to want to leave the stage! Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got this! Absolutely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your books—I have read all of them multiple times. I discover something new each time. Thank you!! Helped me get through this past year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for keeping writing! I have thoroughly enjoyed this series as well as others! I've gotten friends/ family hooked too! Keep up that great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the update - I love all your books. I'm glad you can see how to make this book what it needs to be to see Tate and Illith out in style. I do love them - and I find something more to love about them with every re-read. We're all just grateful for your fantastic vision and writing talent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Sad Anticipation of the epic ending for Tate and Ryu. They are beloved Company for my little escape before sleeptime. Thank you for telling your captivating-happy-making stories. You all stay healthy - greetings from Europe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well all I can say is I looooove all of your books. I can't imagine how taxing writing one book let alone a series and more then one at a time! So thank you for all of your stories. You have made me laugh cringe and gasp more then once!

    ReplyDelete