Friday, December 8, 2017

The Oddities of Creativity

There's something fascinating in how inspiration and creativity works. It's not like mathematics and science. There are no right or wrong answers. There isn't some established process to follow,, because it doesn't function in the same way for everyone. If it did, I think people would be much less fascinated with professions like writing, music or anything that requires a muse. For me, I've found creativity is very much like a muscle you need to exercise. The more you use it, the harder it works, spawning new ideas left and right. Some of them good, some of them bad. That's part of what makes it so interesting.

The funny thing, however, is it doesn't always work towards the project you're supposed to be starting. I've spent much of the morning outlining- unfortunately not in the book I'd intended. I'm supposed to be putting the finishing touches on Dragon 3. Instead, I've opened up two new projects that have been floating around my head for the last year and putting a few thoughts down on paper. Every time I commit an idea to the project, three new ones spring forth.

This has pluses and minuses. On one hand, starting the character sketches and outline process is very exciting and will help me when I finally go to write those books. Unfortunately, I have to finish up a series or two before I can even think of starting a new one.

I don't want to be one of those writers who flits from idea to idea without ever finishing the characters' overarching story. It drives me crazy when my favorite writers do that. There's one whose next book in the series I've been anticipating for three years now, and it'll be another two before it's published, I suspect.

I'm already flirting with that label given I have three series ongoing at the moment. I'm excited about the character arcs in each of those series, so I don't want to just hurry up and finish. It wasn't my original intention to have so many series going at once. Somehow, it just happened. However, that means buckling down and focusing.

Hopefully, my afternoon is a little more on target. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. Recently discovered your work, and I have to say, I love your writing, your characters, and your stories. Of you've got more coming, all to the better, in my opinion!!

    ReplyDelete