Saturday, February 18, 2017

Gasp... Podcasts!

I've recently discovered Podcasts. That's not to say I haven't known about them. I have. Many of my friends listen to them and have done so for years. However, until now I have not jumped on the Podcast bandwagon as my imagination has a penchant for wandering off right in the middle of listening to people speak necessitating for me to start again. That's changed in the last few weeks,

Perhaps my most exciting discovery concerning podcasts are the ones that are considered drama podcasts, which usually tell a story. I've taken to listening to Welcome to Nightvale, King Falls, and The Deep Vault. They help pass the time when I'm cleaning or doing a task that doesn't require a lot of concentration. I still loose track occasionally, but its relatively easy to go back and find what I missed.

What fascinates me about these drama podcasts is the unique way they tell a story. I'm a very visual person which is one of the reasons why I love reading and watching TV and movies. All three of the above podcasts tell a story in a different way. With Nightvale, its told in a format very much like a community updates broadcast but its so totally absurd that I can't help but love it. King Falls is told by two late-night radio hosts and explores the kooky, paranormal happenings of their little town.

At heart I'm a storyteller which is why happening on new and unique ways to tell a story has always fascinated me. It's why I got so in to manga and anime when I was in college. It was a new to me way to explore a world and its characters and it just sucked me in. For a period of a few years, I consumed every type of genre of manga and anime out there. To the point where I stopped reading the massive amounts of books I'd been devouring.

The nice thing about discovering some of these Podcasts so late in the game is that there is tons of material out there for me to explore. I'm almost excited for my next road trip, which is pretty impressive given how much a loathe being trapped in a car for hours on end.

What podcasts are you listening to? I'm always up to find new ones to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment